Learning to read isn’t an easy skill to master, and it takes time and practice. But sometimes practicing the skills needed for reading can be fun! Many websites provide free online games that make learning more fun. However, it is not always easy to find games that target a specific phonics skill. The games in this post are targeted to practice the skills needed to understand the 44 sounds of the English language.
Some online games require flash, which is no longer supported after 12/31/2020. Learn more at The End of Flash. Some more mobile friendly games are collected at this Symbaloo. More online games at these Symbaloo collections.
I. GET READY
- Shoot Out game and initial sounds at funfonix
- Mr. Nussbaum Letters
- Turtle Diary (pc only) Match upper and lowercase letters, Letter sounds, and this Symbaloo collection includes some games
II. SOUND OUT WORDS
- CVC words at ictgames.com
- CVC words at funfonix.com
- puzzle me words at Read, Write, Think (Flash)
- put it on the shelf at kidzpage.com
- CVC words at starfall
- Short vowels at turtle diary (pc only)
- Double consonants at roythezebra.com
- Jungle Jumble at Brainpop Jr
- Blends at room recess
- blends at abcya (pc only)
- some final consonant blends at kizphonics
III. VOWEL PATTERNS
Diphthongs – vowel combinations that make (mostly) new sounds
- other vowels at galacticphonics.com (Flash), Symbaloo collection.
Ictgames.com – free online games for phonics
Vowel Teams that are often long
Short or Long Vowels
- Cloudy Day, Vowel Popper and Vowel Ace at roomrecess.com (choose short vowels)
- Long or Short at softschools.
- Short, Long or Other at learninggamesforkids.com.
- Coconut Vowels at abcya (free on pc only),
- color short & long vowels at turtlediary.com (free on pc only)
IV. CONSONANT PATTERNS
- Digraphs at softschools.com
- Forest Phonics at ictgames has some digraphs
- Blending Sounds at Makingenglishfun (pc or app is available)
- Soft C & G Games at eslphonicsworld.com
- Hard & Soft G at learningonlinerocks.com
- S sounds at www.wordgametime.com/games/s-sounds
V. MULTI-SYLLABLE WORDS
- Syllable Slurp from Room Recess.
- Silly Bulls at vocabularyspellingcity.com.
- syllable football at eslphonicsworld.com
- Syllable Split at fun4thebrain.
- Syllable Skycoaster at gotkidsgames.com.
websites in alphabetical order:
abcya.com – a teacher-created website that provides fun and educational games for kids. Pre-K through 5th grade, and includes games for learning letters (also numbers and more) It is free for use on pcs (ads) and can be obtained for mobile or tablet use with a subscription.
arcademics.com – arcademic skill builders are free online educational video games that offer a powerful approach to learning basic math, language arts, vocabulary and thinking skills. These are highly engaging and some are multi-player. Apps are available for both Android and iOS.
www.education.com – has many resources on a variety of topics. To access worksheets and more resources there is a subscription fee, but there are many games available for free (with a sign-in) for learning reading skills. Alphabet, Syllable Counting, Short vowel sort, Short Vowel Sort, Long/Short sort, Blends, and Silent E +more. Also Digraphs Hopper & Digraphs Photoshoot, Sight Words Balloon Pop and more, Interactive Stories.
Funfonix.com – free online games (and worksheets) for phonics.
Ictgames.com – free online games for phonics, mobile friendly
Kizphonics – an online phonics program which provides a few games on each level free, access beyond that requires a membership.
Learn English Kids -from the British Council
Learninggamesforkids.com – free online learning games
Making English Fun – many online games, apps are available.
Mr Nussbaum – has lots of mobile friendly literacy games and interactive resources. Build words with Word Maker and blend sounds with Sound Garden. (Two Letters with both digraphs & blends available with upgrade)
pbskids.org – a website from the Public Broadcasting System which is aimed at preschool kids.
phonics bloom – many games that work on pc and mobile devices, some free and more with subscription
readwithphonics.com – free for schools, libraries, & educational organizations with 10 or more students. Parents can pay for access, and there is an app available.
readwritethink.org – provides free materials including some games (Flash)
RoomRecess.com has lots of reading games. Many are available for both pc & mobile.
roythezebra.com – some content free, more with registration
Skillswise – provided by the British Broadcasting Corporation, this website includes a section of English Games. There is lots more about reading, writing, and math for higher levels.
softschools.com – provides many resources for free, including Phonics plus other resources. A premium subscription is available that removes ads and lets teachers set up student account to track progress.
yourchildlearns.com – some free online games for reading.
Too many people struggle with learning to read. Low literacy levels often lead to limited opportunities for employment, according to literacy statistics at Phonics Facts. Make a difference by sharing the resources at Phonics Pow to help others teach reading.