The language of phonics can be a little overwhelming. Here are the definitions of some important words to know to teach reading.
- Digraph-a pair of letters representing a single speech sound (consonant digraphs, and vowel digraphs or vowel teams)
- diphthong-two vowels combine to make one sound with mouth positions that change.
- grapheme–the written representation of a phoneme
- phoneme-the individual sounds that make up a word
- phonics–the relationship between letters and sounds
- phonogram – a symbol representing a speech sound
- schwa–a lightly pronounced “uh” vowel sound that can be represented by any vowel
- syllable–a unit of speech generally containing only one vowel sound
There are more definitions of Literacy Terms at atozphonics.com and quizlet.com
One thought on “Phonics Terms”
Comments are closed.