Learn skills for reading with the following ideas. These tips include some of my favorite free online resources.
Download the 10 Steps to Reading (pdf)
3. Learn phonics patterns in a sensible sequence as the student is ready. Try the phonics presentations at ReadingBear.org and watch fun videos that cover many phonics patterns with Kids vs Phonics from RedCatReading.
4. Practice patterns with picture and word sorts.
5. Play games that encourage literacy. Hands on games include traditional games like Boggle and Bananagrams, as well as many free printable games that can be found through links on specific phonics skills. Free online games are also available at this Symbaloo. Some online games require flash, which is no longer supported after 12/31/2020. Learn more at The End of Flash.
7. Learn sight words. Many high frequency words are not decodable with phonics guidelines.
9. Use your library. Attend storytimes, participate in summer reading programs, check out books & online resources. Choose fun books at the right level.