Phonics guidelines can often be helpful, but there are some words that are not easily decodable.
Sight words are frequently found in written text, and many are not decodable with phonics guidelines. When these words are learned, a large percentage of written text can be read. E.W. Dolch identified 220 words and 95 nouns. In 1996, Dr. Fry expanded on the Dolch list and published “Fry 1000 Instant Words.” In his research, Dr. Fry found that:
• 25 words make up approximately 1/3 of all published text
• 100 words make up approximately ½
• 300 words are 65%
• The full list of 1000 words makes up 90% of all published text
WATCH videos and PLAY online games at the Sight Word tutorial at Wakelet
WATCH more videos at the Sight Word playlist at Phonics Pow Youtube channel
PRACTICE Fry Sight Words (with audio) at Quizlet.com.
FRY SIGHT WORDS
- Fry Sight Word lists from K12reader
- Fry Sight Word lists from Utah Education Network (create printable lists with printfriendly.com)
- Printable bookmarks for the 1st 300 sight words, with a progress bookmark included. Free at the Super Tutor Tools store at Teachers Pay Teachers.
DOLCH SIGHT WORDS
- Dolch Sight Word lists & punch cards from First Grade Parade
- Dolch Sight Word lists from K5stars
- Dolch Portable Word Wall from First Grade is a Hoot
- 1st 75 Dolch Words to print on address labels from Make, Take, Teach
- Printable Sight Word flashcards from sightwords.com
- Illustrated Sight Word cards from Research Parent
Super Tutor Tools store at Teachers Pay Teachers:
FREE! Roll a (sometimes silly) Sight Word Sentence – to make this into a sentence shake cut the columns of words apart and put them in bottles.
The Roll a Color Sight Word Game pictured below uses the first 100 Fry words, or use any sight word flashcards and mark them with the colors.
PLAY more printable games: Sight Word Last Card from sightwords.com, Battling for Sight Word Treasures from Liz’s Early Learning Spot, Gone Fishing editable Sight Words from thisreadingmama, Sight Word Scrabble from craftnectar. (The last two may not fit easily in the portable Phonics Kit, but look fun!)