These tools will turn you into a Super Reading Tutor!
- Start with the Resource links, then learn more about teaching reading here.
- Symbaloo Collection of free online tools to teach reading
- A Reading Lesson Plan includes links to assessments
- Reading 101 at readingrockets.org
- Kilpatrick Webinar Series
- Florida K-12 Reading Endorsement
- National Center on Improving Literacy – Implementation Toolkits
- Adult Learners: Proliteracy.org and lincs.ed.gov. ESL course at Alison.
- Phonics and Word Study pdf from ascd.org
- Put Reading First pdf booklet from National Institute for Literacy
- A Child Becomes a Reader pdf booklet with research from National Reading Panel
- Reading and the Brain from ld@school
- Scientific Evidence for Effective Teaching of Reading from Centre for Independent Studies
- Adult Learners: Applying Research in Reading Instruction for Adults pdf from lincs.ed.gov
- Preventing Reading Difficulties in Young Children
- Steps to Success: Crossing the Bridge Between Literacy Research and Practice
- Letters and Sounds
A Short and Long Vowel Chart, Vowel Pattern Chart, and Phonogram Chart are all part of the freebie download sample of the Phonics Pow Toolkit. They can also be found at Free resources at the Super Tutor Tools store at Teachers Pay Teachers, along with more charts, and at the Free Phonics Pow Resources page. The following charts from others are also very helpful:
- Alphabet & Vowel pattern chart with pictures from tweetresources.
- Vowel patterns with pictures on one page from thisreadingmama.
- Phonics Cue Card from maketaketeach
- A simple one page alphabet at making words from Teacher Bits and Bobs or movable alphabet from montessorimaterials.org
Quiz: test your phonics knowledge
- Building RTI University of Texas – video modeling phonemic awareness
- Foundational Skills in Reading K-3 – from familieslearning.org
- Videos from readingrecovery.org
- Videos from Kristin Sayeski: Alphabetic Principle, Phonemes & Letter Sounds, Phonemic Awareness
- Comprehensive Phonics from the Wasatch reading summit
- Video Tutorials from UFLI (see also Youtube & virtual teaching resource hub)
- LESLLA – useful sites with videos that model classroom practices with adult learners.
- Literacy for Life – tutor training for ESL (English as a Second Language)
- Literacy for All – tutor resources
- What Teachers Should Know About the Science of Reading
- Colorado Department of Education – Resources
- Florida Center for Reading Research – FCRR.org – Pinterest board
- Freereading.net – activities
- On Track Reading – word lists
- West Virginia Reading Explicit Phonics Lessons
- Virginia Literacy Foundation – tutor resources
- Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center